Make it a GREAT Day EVERY Day!
I’m normally pretty energetic, so I had to do some reflection to try to figure out why I just can’t seem to get going or stay motivated. I finally reached my aha moment. It’s my attitude!
I’ve always tried to look at things positively and look for the silver lining in every situation (yes, I’m that irritating person). But I have noticed lately that my thoughts have been drawn to what’s wrong instead of what’s right. I’m a firm believer in “what we think creates what we become” and my thoughts have been creating a deep dark solitary dungeon with no windows and a scary old crotchety woman sitting in chains in the corner reminding me that this is your life if you don’t snap out of it. So I had to build a game plan…quickly! I realized that it’s time to think some new thoughts that will create a ladder to climb right out of that dungeon and to promise myself that I will tackle each day PROACTIVELY. It’s time to regain control of my thoughts before I let them control me. Here are my directives:
GAME PLAN TO GET THE DAY STARTED RIGHT
- WAKE UP AND GIVE THANKS
- Think of two or more things you are blessed to have and thank God for them. The first one should be that you woke up!
- MOVE AROUND – GET THE BLOOD FLOWING!
- Do a stretch or two.
- Get on the treadmill, elliptical or bike for 10 to 30 mins.
- Put on your favorite songs and dance a little or even take a quick walk around the neighborhood.
- SIT IN SILENCE
- After your shower, sit in silence for a few minutes.
- Drink your favorite coffee or tea and meditate a little on the day ahead.
- Commit to tackling the day and each task positively.
- Give yourself permission early on to do all that you can with diligence and commit to not beating yourself up for what you didn’t get done.
- PUT YOUR BEST SELF FORWARD – DRESS UP!
- Get dressed up and give yourself an advantage! Take the time to do your hair and put on a nice outfit that makes you feel good.
- Remind yourself that when you look good, you feel good and you have confidence.
- PLAN AND COMMIT TO HAVING A GOOD DAY
- The best way to achieve success is to plan. If you know you have a client or associate that knows how to get under your skin, be proactive. Compliment something about them to disarm them before they have a chance to utter a word. Make a plan to react positively.
- If your day is full of meetings and you anticipate being stressed, build in a few minutes of time to decompress between meetings. Do some breathing exercises, chat with a friend for a few minutes, or go sit quietly with your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
- Don’t get derailed! Little positivity and confidence stealers will pop up all throughout the day. Commit to striking them down immediately.
The bottom line is that ultimately I am in control. My reactions and my attitude toward situations are solely controlled by me, so if I am having a bad day…I have only myself to blame.
I’m climbing out of the dungeon and demolishing it with each step. I’ve bid farewell to the crotchety old woman and hope to never return.
– La Donna